Mexican style pulled Golden Turkey Burger with sprout, dill & mustard slaw
For the burger:
1 tbsp oil
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 good pinch dried oregano
Sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp leftover turkey gravy
A dash tabasco
A dash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
300g leftover Golden Turkey® breast, shredded
For the slaw:
250g Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1 apple, chopped (optional)
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp soured cream
A good handful fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp Dijon mustard
A good squeeze lemon juice
4 seeded burger buns, halved and lightly toasted
4 tbsp guacamole
4 tbsp tomato and coriander salsa
Green pickled jalapeno chillies
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, and add the onion, garlic, chilli, paprika, cumin and oregano and fry gently for 2-3 minutes, taking care not to brown the onion. Season with sea salt and black pepper. When the onion is soft, add all the other ingredients for the burger and mix well. Leave on the heat until the turkey is hot.
2. Take the burger mixture out of the pan, divide it into 4 equal burger shapes and keep warm.
3. To make the slaw, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
4. To serve, put the burgers on the bottom half of each bun, top with the guacamole and salsa, top with the bun tops. Serve with the slaw, some green pickled jalapeno chillies, and turkey crackling (optional) on the side.
Don’t let on that there are sprouts in the coleslaw, as nobody will believe you!
Leftover Turkey Ruby Murray
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
6 green cardamom pods, crushed
3 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp mild curry paste
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
500g cooked Golden Turkey® leg meat, cubed
Sea salt and black pepper
Fresh coriander, chopped (to garnish)
- Toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a dry pan until lightly toasted and very fragrant. Grind with a pestle and mortar and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat and add the cardamom pods, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick and chilli flakes until they start to crackle and release their flavours. Add the onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add the ginger, garlic and the freshly ground coriander and cumin seeds. Add the curry paste, chopped tomatoes and tomato purée. Turn the heat up to high and allow the curry to simmer for about 15 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
- Add the turkey and cook through until the turkey is hot. Season with the sea salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice, or chapatis minted yoghurt and mango chutney.